Double Entry table

  1. #1
    Mnilo
    Guest

    Double Entry table

    Hi all:

    I would like to know how to look for in a double entry table in Excel (a
    table with row and colums of data).

    For example in columns I have names of cities and in rows I have names of
    companies, I would like (for example) a formula to introduce as imput Boston
    and Microsoft and the formula will show the crossing of both variables (for
    instance the number of employees of Microsoft in Boston).

    Thank in advance.

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Double Entry table

    Say cities are in A2:A100, companies in B1:AA1, # of employees in B2:AA100
    Say A102 holds Boston and A103 holds Microsoft

    =INDEX(B2:AA100,MATCH(A102,A2:A100,0),MATCH(A103,B1:AA1,0))

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Double Entry table

    Use index:

    =INDEX(G2:H3,MATCH(A1,$F$2:$F$3,0),MATCH(A2,$G$1:$H$1,0))

    F G H
    1 Boston New York
    2 IBM 1000 2000
    3 Microsoft 1500 2500

    2000 ==> matching IBM (in A1) with NewYork (in A2)

    HTH

  4. #4
    Mnilo
    Guest

    Re: Double Entry table

    thanks both for your help, it is working perfectly now.

    news:[email protected]...