Row() function returns wrong row and more..

  1. #1
    Kim
    Guest

    Row() function returns wrong row and more..

    Using 2003 w/SP2, all current updates, nothing disabled and all but Euro
    Currency Tools loaded.

    Cell A10 has 'kim' in it. New workbook with "=row(kim)" in D2 returns
    #NAME?. Existing workbook returns "11". (I move text and the row changes,
    but always one higher than actual row. I've verified no hidden rows on
    worksheet

    I can deal with the "one row off" thing with code but can't figure out the
    difference in files.

    Any clue where I'm failing to understand what's happening?

    Thanks,

    Kim

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Row() function returns wrong row and more..

    Hi Kim,

    If you select A11, you'll see "Kim" in the Name box (right above A1). This is a defined name, which you can use instead of a cell
    address.
    The ROW() function needs a Range reference, either a cell address(ses) or a defined name.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  3. #3
    Kim
    Guest

    Re: Row() function returns wrong row and more..

    Hi Niek,

    I think I got one issue solved. Tools>Options>Calculations select "Accept
    Labels in Formulas" lets me put "kim" into row(). It still returns one row
    higher than actual text but I'm closing in...........

    Thanks for you help!

    Kim

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Row() function returns wrong row and more..

    Go to,
    <Insert> <Name> <Define>

    And see if there's a "Kim" defined there.
    If yes, click on it and see what's in the "Refers To" box.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  5. #5
    Kim
    Guest

    Re: Row() function returns wrong row and more..

    RD,

    New workbook/worksheet. Sheet1. No names -- no nothing in fact except for
    my test entries.

    Kim

  6. #6
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Row() function returns wrong row and more..

    I'm talking about the sheet (existing) where you get a return of 11 when you
    enter =row(kim) in D2!

    RD