extract number and use in formula from text & numbers in cell

  1. #1
    ivory_kitten
    Guest

    extract number and use in formula from text & numbers in cell

    The text in my cell is 25m3/hour and I want to use 25 in my formula, how do
    I use functions to do this? It is not always 25 though, it could be a one,
    two or three digit number. and there could be more than one digit mixed in
    with the text that I don't want to include

  2. #2
    ivory_kitten
    Guest

    RE: extract number and use in formula from text & numbers in cell

    Sorry for wasting everyone's time, I figured it out already!

    Text in cell C90 = 25m3/hour
    Using formula MID(C90,1,FIND("m",C90,1)-1
    The answer = 25

    Thanks anyways!

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: extract number and use in formula from text & numbers in cell

    >Using formula MID(C90,1,FIND("m",C90,1)-1
    >The answer = 25

    Just to FYI........

    Yes, the result is 25 but that 25 is not a numeric value, it's TEXT and
    could cause you to pull your hair out and/or cuss loudly.

    To convert the result to a numeric number:

    =MID(C90,1,FIND("m",C90)-1)*1

    Or:

    =LEFT(C90,FIND("m",C90)-1)*1

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    ivory_kitten
    Guest

    Re: extract number and use in formula from text & numbers in cell

    I will keep that in mind if I have any probs.

    It is working fine as a number without updating the formula... so far!