Date arithmetic: adding 1 month to prior end of month date

  1. #1
    manxman
    Guest

    Date arithmetic: adding 1 month to prior end of month date

    I'm using the =DATE(YEAR(B32),MONTH(B32)+1,DAY(B32)) where B32 is the prior
    date. This works fine when the prior month's day is not the last day of the
    month. If it is the last day, the results are a little goofy. For example,
    adding one month to 6/30/06 produces 7/30/06 instead of 7/31/06. Adding one
    month to 1/31/06produces 3/3/06 instead of 2/28/06.

    Is there a way to add whole months to prior months when the prior month's
    day is the last day of the month?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    manxman,

    You could use,

    =EOMONTH(A1,1)

    Where A1 = your start date. You need the Analysis ToolPak installed to use the EOMONTH function. Tools, AddIns, select Analysis ToolPak and click OK.

    HTH

    Steve

  3. #3
    manxman
    Guest

    Re: Date arithmetic: adding 1 month to prior end of month date

    That does it. Thanks very much.