I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

  1. #1
    cashman
    Guest

    I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

    I am creating a if/then formula that will look at a cell in column A that
    contains either one of the following day notations MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI,
    SAT, SUN, or HOL. If the date is between any non holiday weekday it should
    be included in a count. The second part of the if/then statement includes
    the choice between OK and DEFECT. I am trying to count only the defects that
    happen during non holiday dates for entire month. I have written the
    following formula for a single day but have had no luck. Can anyone point me
    in the right direction?

    =IF((($A7=MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI)=AND($D7=DEFECT)),1,0)

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    I don't know what you are trying to do on a bigger picture.. but the formula would be:

    =IF(AND(OR(A7="MON",A7="TUE",A7="WED",A7="THU",A7="FRI"),D7="DEFECT"),1,0)

    There is probably something shorter and easier. but it eludes me right now

    HTH
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

    maybe

    =IF(AND(OR($A7={"mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri"}),$D7="Defect"),1, 0)

  4. #4
    cashman
    Guest

    RE: I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

    Thanks, but it didn't work.

  5. #5
    cashman
    Guest

    Re: I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

    The answer that you had sent worked, Thanks. If that was the out come for
    one day and I wanted to add a string of days would I place the whole equation
    in parentheses and combine them with + signs?

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

    Works perfectly. Just copy it from the message and paste it into your
    spreadsheet

  7. #7
    CarlosAntenna
    Guest

    Re: I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

    It works for me.

    I've never seen the curly brackets used that way before. Usually they are
    inserted automatically when you do an array formula with ctrl-alt-enter.
    Can they be used anywhere you want to use a list of possible values?

    --
    Carlos

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: I was looking to get assistance with a formula in Excel 2002

    Carlos -

    I'm far from an expert on where & when you can use the curly brackets.
    Harlan Grove is the one to whom you should pose your question. He seems to
    have an encyclopedic knowledge about their use.

    Duke