calc # of d, m, y, then round to nearest fraction

  1. #1
    Ruby
    Guest

    calc # of d, m, y, then round to nearest fraction

    Hello, I have been reading a lot of the Q&A here, but I haven't found one
    that worked perfectly for my spreadsheet. I even went to the Pearson site,
    but I didn't have any luck with the formulas.

    GOAL: Multi-function cell
    Calculate the number of days, months, and years, then have each result
    displayed as a specific number (rounded to the nearest fraction, preferably
    to the 100th or even as a quarter fraction).

    Can anyone provide the exact formula for me to use?

    Please use the following cells:
    A1 = Date Submitted
    B1 = Date Approved
    C1 = Length of Time: Days
    D1 = Length of Time: Months
    E1 = Length of Time: Years

    Thank you very much!
    --
    Ruby

  2. #2
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: calc # of d, m, y, then round to nearest fraction

    These formulas will give you the whole number of days, months, and years.

    =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"MD")
    =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"YM")
    =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"Y")

    Why would you want fractions? How much of a month is 1 day; 1/31 of a
    month, or 1/30? If you really wanted to estimate the fraction portion you
    could try these instead

    =B1-A1
    =(B1-A1)/30
    =(B1-A1)/365

  3. #3
    Ruby
    Guest

    RE: calc # of d, m, y, then round to nearest fraction

    Thank you, Sloth. The person who I'm preparing this for wants the results as
    accurate and precise as possible, so that's why I'm using fractions. (I know,
    if it were up to me, I'd be fine with integers.)

    Your second set of functions worked very well...
    1-Feb-06 1-Apr-07 424.00 d 14.13 m 1.16 y
    ....but the # of days in a month aren'ts always 30. I read in one post to
    use "30.4..." (something like that), but that doesn't seem accurrate - or is
    it?

    The first set did work for same years, but it did not round to nearest
    fraction:
    28-Nov-05 6-Dec-05 8.00 d 0.00 m 0.00 y

    The first set did not work with different years:
    1-Feb-06 1-Apr-07 0.00 d 2.00 m 1.00 y

    Any additional suggestions is much appreciated.

    --
    Thank you,
    Ruby