Project exponential growth againt linear timeline

  1. #1

    Project exponential growth againt linear timeline

    Hi,

    I have a series of values growing exponentially over time. I'd like to
    project the values in the next 5 years, but I can't figure out how to
    use the related functions. For instance:

    A B
    1 2001 2
    2 2002 4
    3 2003 8
    4 2004 16
    5 2005 32
    6 2006
    7 2007
    8 2008
    9 2009
    10 2010

    Now, I want to find the function that will yield the series {64, 128,
    258, 512, 1024} in cells B6:B10.

    For cell B6 (2006):
    - TREND(B1:B5;A1:A5;A6) will not result in 64, which is to be expected
    since it's not a linear growth;
    - GROWTH(B1:B5;A1:A5;A6) does not work at all and returns an error
    (#NUM!). It seems that the series in column A should also be
    exponential for GROWTH to work. But time is not exponential (luckily).

    So which function should I use to project an exponential progression on
    the Y axis, along a linear progression (time) in the X axis? If I use
    the "Add trendline" in the graph, it does work, by I can't find a way
    to get the actual figures.

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Kind regards,

    Raph

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Project exponential growth againt linear timeline

    Right-click on trendline==>Format Trendline==>Options==>Display equation on
    chart

    In your specific example, =POWER(2,(year-2000)) gives results you require

    HTH

  3. #3
    mrgou
    Guest

    Re: Project exponential growth againt linear timeline

    Toppers a =E9crit :

    > Right-click on trendline=3D=3D>Format Trendline=3D=3D>Options=3D=3D>Displ=

    ay equation on
    > chart
    >
    > In your specific example, =3DPOWER(2,(year-2000)) gives results you requi=

    re

    Thanks. In my real-life instance, the displayed equation is "y =3D
    6105.6e0.6015x", so I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do with
    it. I thought the value (y) for any given year (x) would be:

    =3D6105.6*EXP(0.6015*(year-2000))

    But it doesn't match the graph.

    Raph

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Project exponential growth againt linear timeline

    For your original data my equation was y=e0.6931x (=EXP(0.6931*(A1-2000))
    which gave the following results for 2001- 2010:

    1.999905641
    3.999622573
    7.998867747
    15.99698073
    31.992452
    63.98188523
    127.9577332
    255.9033924
    511.7826381
    1023.516985

    Do you want post your real-life table and I'll give it a try?