Using the TODAY() function in a SUMIF function

  1. #1

    Using the TODAY() function in a SUMIF function

    I'm having ALOT of problems getting SUMIF to recognize the TODAY() function. Basically I'm trying to create a worksheet that will add up the total balances of Lines of credit if their expiration date is after todays date. I have tried including the TODAY() function in the formula for the SUMIF and I have tried to have the SUMIF formula reference a cell that has =TODAY() in it. Neither is working.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Would this work for you

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A6>TODAY())*(B2:B6))

    VBA Noob

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Using the TODAY() function in a SUMIF function

    You need to string the operator and the date together, like so

    =SUMIF(A2:A6,">"&TODAY(),B2:B6)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: Using the TODAY() function in a SUMIF function

    This method seemed to work for me.

    I created a column and put this formula in it and copied it down:
    =TODAY()-B1 (where the date was in column B)

    I then used this formula: =SUMIF(C1:C5,"<0",A1:A5) (where column A was the
    amount to be summed.)

    However I see that someone has posted an easier solution with sumproduct.
    (I simply must read up on that function as half the time when I come up with
    a solution another person uses sumproduct to do all sorts of wonderfully
    eaier things with it. :O)> )

  5. #5
    Thank you all very much for your replies. It worked perfectly!