Excel'03 crashes with VLOOKUPS ending in FALSE

  1. #1
    andy_suffers_Excel_2003_over-engineering
    Guest

    Excel'03 crashes with VLOOKUPS ending in FALSE

    I'm an experienced Excel user - I've recently upgraded machine, which has
    meant upgrading from Excel 2000 to Excel 2003.

    I use the VLOOKUP commands *a lot* with my job.

    I see that Excel 2003 now has the option to use Text labels (e.g "Sales",
    etc) instead of cell references (e.g $A$3).

    I only ever use Cell references, because I find it easier to work with,
    easier to spot if something goes wrong, etc.

    Since upgrading to Excel 2003, VLOOKUPS have started failing to work
    properly.

    Example :

    =VLOOKUP($D6,[Book2]Sheet1!$D$7:$G$11,2,

    I can get as far into the formula as this...but when I want to type "FALSE)"
    and hit enter, I get a dialogue box open up saying "Identify Label".

    When I click on the 'X' to close this dialogue box, Excel promptly crashes
    - every single time.

    What's more, I've note been able to find a means of turning off this damned
    "Identify Label" function.

    It's a classic case of "If it aint broken - Don't fix it !".

    Anyone have any tips on how I can permanently turn this annoying new
    function off, I'd be very grateful..

    Thanks,
    Andy.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Excel'03 crashes with VLOOKUPS ending in FALSE

    =VLOOKUP($D6,[Book2]Sheet1!$D$7:$G$11,2,0)

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Excel'03 crashes with VLOOKUPS ending in FALSE

    Do you mean Tools / Options / Calculation Tab / 'Accept labels in Formulas'?

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  4. #4
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: Excel'03 crashes with VLOOKUPS ending in FALSE

    BTW, for the OP. This option is also available in 2000 (I am using 2000 and
    just checked.) I wonder if maybe it is turned on default in 2003, or maybe
    whoever set up the installation turned this option on?
    --
    Kevin Vaughn