calculate averages

  1. #1
    inspiredtoo
    Guest

    calculate averages

    How can I calculate averages automatically subtracting the lowest number in a
    range?
    I was told to use the SUM, MIN and Count function
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: calculate averages

    =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A10<>MIN(A1:A10),A1:A10))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: calculate averages

    This should be easy but you need to be more specific.

    Greg

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: calculate averages

    Why does this sound like homework to me?

    Here's an *array* formula, using *none* of the functions you mentioned:

    =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A5>SMALL(A1:A5,1),A1:A5))

    --
    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: calculate averages

    What if there are duplicate lowest numbers? Do you want to exclude all of
    them or just one of them?

    This will exclude just one of them:

    =SUM(A1:A10,-MIN(A1:A10))/(COUNT(A1:A10)-1)

    Biff

  6. #6
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: calculate averages

    For a non-array formula:

    =(SUM(A1:A12)-MIN(A1:A12))/(COUNT(A1:A12) - 1)

    Regards,
    Greg

  7. #7
    inspiredtoo
    Guest

    Re: calculate averages

    Thanks Bob, I will give it a whirl
    Dan

  8. #8
    inspiredtoo
    Guest

    Re: calculate averages

    You figured it out!! It is homework, sort of. An online class that make a
    quantum leap from examples to homework. But then, in the real world, the
    best solution is often knowing how to look for help. I had most of it, but
    didn't figure out the double brackets...we hadn't covered that yet.

    Thanks for your help.
    Dan

  9. #9
    inspiredtoo
    Guest

    Re: calculate averages

    Thanks Biff. You brought out a good point about duplicate lows.