how to get formula content of a cell?

  1. #1
    muster
    Guest

    how to get formula content of a cell?

    For example

    A1: =b2+c2, result is 5

    I'd like to get "=b2+c2", not 5, without VBA.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    Press Ctrl and ` together (key to the left of 1 on the left side of the
    keyboard),
    Regards,
    Alan.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    "muster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For example
    >
    > A1: =b2+c2, result is 5
    >
    > I'd like to get "=b2+c2", not 5, without VBA.

    Tools/ Options/ View: Formulas
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    muster
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    Thank you. What I really want is to reference to the formula in another
    cell.

  5. #5
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: how to get formula content of a cell?

    I interpreted this differently than the other 2 responders to your question.
    If my interpretation is correct, there is absolutely no way (that I know of)
    to get the formula contents of a cell (returned into another cell; this is
    where my interpretation differs,) without using VBA.

    I qualified my answer to include the phrase that I know of just in case.
    Due to the slight possibility that someone will pipe up with an answer that I
    never heard of. But if such a solution exists, I wonder why I haven't heard
    of it before.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  6. #6
    Kevin Vaughn

  7. #7
    muster
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    You interpret right. That's why I ask in worksheetfunctions group.
    Thank you.

  8. #8
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    Muster,

    I know you said "no VBA", but this might help to address your question:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm

    Beege

  9. #9
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    Muster,

    Found this, too... and no VBA

    http://www.mcse.ms/archive144-2005-5-1637686.html

    Beege

  10. #10
    muster

  11. #11
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    muster,

    you/re welcome...

    Beege

  12. #12
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    I'm glad I qualified my answer. However, I believe that there is a potential
    problem with this solution. I tested it and it did work, however, this is
    probably a function leftover from Excel's previous macro language (the name
    of which escapes me, something like xmla,) which I have read can cause (I
    believe) a crash if copied to other worksheets in certain versions of Excel
    (something like that.) If someone reads this and knows the exact scenario,
    hopefully they'll respond with the specifics.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  13. #13
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    From XL02 forward, the bug was fixed.

    I've used it in past versions, although not on any WB that was put on the
    LAN.

    Can never trust users to listen to, and follow instructions, especially
    pertaining to fatal consequences.

    In fact, I've suggested it's use in a post just today, but prefixed it with
    the caveat of pre-XL02 usage.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  14. #14
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    The bug was fixed so it wouldn't crash but I believe you can't copy the
    formula to another sheet

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  15. #15
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    Thanks. So I would still be affected as I am still using 2000.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  16. #16
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    AFAIK Peo, *everything* was fixed!

    Copying from WB to WB is no longer a problem.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    "Peo Sjoblom" <peo.sjoblom@nw^^excelsolutions.com> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    The bug was fixed so it wouldn't crash but I believe you can't copy the
    formula to another sheet

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From XL02 forward, the bug was fixed.
    >
    > I've used it in past versions, although not on any WB that was put on the
    > LAN.
    >
    > Can never trust users to listen to, and follow instructions, especially
    > pertaining to fatal consequences.
    >
    > In fact, I've suggested it's use in a post just today, but prefixed it
    > with the caveat of pre-XL02 usage.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  17. #17
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    You would cause XL to crash *IF* you attempted to *COPY* the formula to
    another WB.

    Using it is *not* a problem.
    Creating (re-writing) it in another WB is *not* a problem.

    It has it's place when used properly in the pre-XL02 versions.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    "Ragdyer" wrote:

    > From XL02 forward, the bug was fixed.
    >
    > I've used it in past versions, although not on any WB that was put on the
    > LAN.
    >
    > Can never trust users to listen to, and follow instructions, especially
    > pertaining to fatal consequences.
    >
    > In fact, I've suggested it's use in a post just today, but prefixed it

    with
    > the caveat of pre-XL02 usage.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  18. #18
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: how to get formula content of a cell?

    Ah. It's copying to another workbook? For some reason, I was under the
    impression that it was copying to another worksheet that was the problem.
    Thanks. So far I haven't felt like testing it (to the extent of trying to
    make Excel crash.)
    --
    Kevin Vaughn