Retrieving Amazon product data to excel, namely books!

  1. #1
    thebookguy
    Guest

    Retrieving Amazon product data to excel, namely books!

    Hi,

    Is there a way that i can retrive data from amazon.com website into my excel
    program?

    I am a books seller and have a bunch of books that I want to see if
    amazon.com have these book or not and at what price they are selling it for.
    All of my book data is in my excel file and I have heard that you can connect
    your excel file through a query and retrives the nessasry data that you want
    from amazon.com is this true? If not, then why am i keep hearing that you can
    download any website data to your excel file so that you can work with it?
    thank you for you help.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Retrieving Amazon product data to excel, namely books!

    Yes.......it is all true.

    Data>Import External Data>New Web Query.

    Provide the URL for the site and go from there.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    thebookguy
    Guest

    Re: Retrieving Amazon product data to excel, namely books!

    Hello,

    I have tried to retrieves the data that I wanted from amazon.com but instead
    of searching for the data that I need in ALL of amazons website it only
    retrieves data from the page that I quoted the link too. I.E when I types in
    www.amazon.com it would retrieves the data from that particular pages only
    but not through out the entire site. What I wanted to do is to search the
    availability and pricing of a book on Amazon by just entering in the
    international standard book number (ISBN) in excel and then excel can go
    ahead and search that through out of amazon.com website but its not doing so.
    How can I request excel to search all of Amazon website and collect the data
    that is needed just for that particular product? Thank you for your help

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Retrieving Amazon product data to excel, namely books!

    I must admit to having no idea how to search Amazon.com site using Excel as a
    search tool.

    Hang around.......someone else may know how.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Marc
    Guest

    Re: Retrieving Amazon product data to excel, namely books!

    Boy, this took some searching... try this info:

    http://computerbits.wordpress.com/20...n-web-service/

    It looks like you can then create a text file for use by Excel (*.iqy) to
    query Amazon. Below is an example of an IQY file that is included with
    Excel.
    ===============
    WEB
    1
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...es.asp?SYMBOL=["QUOTE","Enter
    stock, fund or other MSN MoneyCentral Investor symbols separated by
    commas."]
    I imagine you could construct a similar file to query Amazon, then it looks
    like you would use "Data/Import External Data/Import Data" to invoke your
    query.

    Also, check out: http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0298/corner0298.asp for more
    info on how to put it all together...