summing cells with text and numbers

  1. #1
    val
    Guest

    summing cells with text and numbers

    I am trying to put together an attendance tracker that sums cells by
    the type of time off time off taken. Unfortunately since the cells
    contain both text and numbers I haven't figured out how to set up the
    formula - can anyone help?

    For example - I took 8hrs of vacation on 1/1/06, 2 hours of vacation on
    1/2/06, 3 hours of sick time on 1/3/06 and 4 hours of sick time on
    1/4/06. I am using "V" to signify vacation & "S" to signify sick time
    so the cells would be 8V, 2V, 3S & 4S. My excel sheet would show the
    dates 1/1/06 to 1/4/06 in cells A1 to D1. My time off would show in
    cells A2 to D2. Then I tried to use cell E2 to sum up the vacation time
    & F2 to sum up the sick time. Basically I want it to tell me that I
    have used 10 hours of vacation & 7 hours of sick time.

    I tried to put an example below...

    A B C D E F
    1 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4
    2 8V 2V 3S 4S

    Any help that someone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: summing cells with text and numbers

    Why not be sensible and use one extra row and put the time off indicators
    there instead, this will work though

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(RIGHT(A2:D2,1)=E1),--(SUBSTITUTE("0"&SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A2:D2
    ),"V",""),"S","")))

    Put the time off indicator in E1

    You can also add criteria for dates as well to this

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(RIGHT(A2:D2,1)=E1),--(SUBSTITUTE("0"&SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A2:D2
    ),"V",""),"S","")),--(A1:D1>=--"2006-01-01"),--(A1:D1<=--"2006-01-03"))

    will only sum between Jan 1 2006 and Jan 3 2006

    It would be easier to use an extra row for the indicators, especially if you
    have more indicators than these 2

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions