Search function.

  1. #1
    the_intern
    Guest

    Search function.

    Hello everybody,
    does anyone know what funtion to use when searching for a value in a
    given excel file using the values in TWO COLUMNS together as a one
    unique search "key"?

    If we think SQL it might have been something like this

    SELECT excelcell
    WHERE thisexcelsheet.A1 =3D thatexcelsheet.columnA1
    AND thisexcelsheet.columnB1 =3D thatexcelsheet.columnB1

    I know that was badly explained but if anyone understood what I=B4m
    after, feel free to help me out
    Thanks!
    Havard

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Search function.

    You could join the two columns together in a helper column and use that
    as the search column.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    the_intern
    Guest

    Re: Search function.

    Hi there Pete,
    I was thinking about that as well, but the downside is that it would
    make my excel sheets even more filled with repeating data... and they
    are really messy enough as it is

    Besides, these excel sheets are shared with a lot of people using them
    for different purposes, so a change in the set-up of the spreadsheets
    would mean that a lot of people might have to be informed and do a lot
    of minor changes to their spreadsheets.

    So, what I=B4m looking for is a way to do this that doesnt imply having
    to change the spreadsheet that I=B4m reading from.

    I=B4m sure there=B4s a clever function to do this, but my excel skills
    are quite limited.
    Thanks for the reply, though!

    Pete_UK ha escrito: