Is it possible to combine two worsheets into one Pivot Table?

  1. #1
    Diane13
    Guest

    Is it possible to combine two worsheets into one Pivot Table?

    Using Excel 2003. I have two Excel files, each with a single worksheet
    containing the data that I need to summarize. Each has a common field
    containing an account number. I need to summarize data from each spreadsheet
    into a single table. For example, I have account number, customer name, city
    and state in one worksheet/file and dollar amounts on about 10% of those
    customers in the other worksheet/file. Is it possible to combine this data
    into a single Pivot Table from the two files? Or do I need to combine the
    files into a single worksheet first and go from there? I am new to working
    with Pivot Tables and do not know all the ins and outs of the feature.
    Thanks for any help you can provide!

  2. #2
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible to combine two worsheets into one Pivot Table?

    hi,
    yes it is possible. you need to declare each data range in both files as a
    named range then use micorsoft query to combine the two on a seperate sheet
    using the common account number field as the link. You can then use the
    combined table for you pivot table. if you are unfamilar with named
    ranges(tables) and micorsoft query, i suggest you read up on both in ms help.
    I think that is the way you need to go.
    regards
    FSt1

  3. #3
    Diane13
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible to combine two worsheets into one Pivot Table?

    Sorry for the delayed reply back to you. Your solution worked fine except I
    now have some files that are over 65K lines and too large for Excel. I am
    now trying to make sense of Access tables and relationships and will look
    toward that user forum for more assistance. Thank you, FSt1!