Sum If Function

  1. #1

    Sum If Function

    Can anybody help me with the correct way to enter a SumIF Function with numberic and alphabetic properties? My sum should be something like C3-A3,D3 If E3 = September - I have done this before however I think the way I am inputting this is wrong.

    Awaiting your replies -

    Many many thanks,

  2. #2
    Scoops
    Guest

    Re: Sum If Function

    Cowgirl wrote:
    > Can anybody help me with the correct way to enter a SumIF Function with
    > numberic and alphabetic properties? My sum should be something like
    > C3-A3,D3 If E3 = September - I have done this before however I think
    > the way I am inputting this is wrong.
    >
    > Awaiting your replies -
    >
    > Many many thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Cowgirl

    Hi Cowgirl

    >From your information, I think you want in D3:

    =If(E3="September",Sum(A3:C3))

    SUMIF requires the evaluated range to be the same length as the sum
    range.

    Regards

    Steve

  3. #3
    Hi Steve,

    Many thanks for your reply. I tried your sum however received a FALSE calc rather than a number figure which is what I am looking for. Basically, I am working out P&L Forecasts for the year and am trying to use the sum based on Purchase and Sales for single months. Therefore the sum should be sale-purchase-fee only if month is Aug, Sept, Oct etc. Rather than having singular sheets - I am trying to populate one sheet as simply as possible. Do you have any more suggestions?

    Kindest regards,

    Sadie

  4. #4
    Scoops
    Guest

    Re: Sum If Function

    Cowgirl wrote:
    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Many thanks for your reply. I tried your sum however received a FALSE
    > calc rather than a number figure which is what I am looking for.
    > Basically, I am working out P&L Forecasts for the year and am trying to
    > use the sum based on Purchase and Sales for single months. Therefore
    > the sum should be sale-purchase-fee only if month is Aug, Sept, Oct
    > etc. Rather than having singular sheets - I am trying to populate one
    > sheet as simply as possible. Do you have any more suggestions?
    >
    > Kindest regards,
    >
    > Sadie
    >

    > --
    > Cowgirl

    Hi Sadie

    OK, I see it a little more clearly now, though I'm still not sure what
    you're trying to achieve with "C3-A3,D3", try:

    =IF(OR(E3="August",E3="September",E3="October"),C3-A3,0)

    Where the C3-A3 is, replace with the actual calculation you're doing.

    That you got a FALSE result from the first formula (I didn't include an
    "else" statement) suggests that the cell you're evaluating doesn't
    actually contain the string "September". Where you and I might know
    that "Sep", "Sept" or "9" might mean September, remember that Excel is
    literal and the cell must match exactly.

    Regards

    Steve

  5. #5

    Smile Scoop is a Genius!

    Hey Steve,

    Many thanks for your help - your formula has prevailed!

    Wonderful - It has helped me out immensely!

    Have a great evening and thank you again!

    Kindest regards,

    Sadie