Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Formula result as real empty/blank cell

  1. #1
    Excelerate-nl
    Guest

    Formula result as real empty/blank cell

    How can I get a formula result to be an actual empty cell (usually when using
    the IF function). I know that "" of NA() is an option to get a Blank cell,
    but this results in errors when the result of this formula is used in another
    function.

    Example: IF(isblank(a1);"";A1*B1). If A1 does not contain a value I would
    like the formula to result in an EMPTY (or Blank) result. Now I have used ""
    which gives no visible result in the formula cell, but when I multiply this
    formula result with another value it will result in #VALUE!

    It seems to be one of the shortcommings of Excel!?

    Regards JB

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Formula result as real empty/blank cell

    "Excelerate-nl" wrote:
    > How can I get a formula result to be an actual empty cell (usually when using
    > the IF function)...

    Don't think this is possible

    > Example: IF(isblank(a1);"";A1*B1). If A1 does not contain a value I would
    > like the formula to result in an EMPTY (or Blank) result. Now I have used ""
    > which gives no visible result in the formula cell, but when I multiply this
    > formula result with another value it will result in #VALUE!

    Instead of using > =IF(isblank(a1);"";A1*B1)

    Perhaps putting it as: =IF(A1="";"";A1*B1)
    would suffice
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Formula result as real empty/blank cell

    In the downstream formulas where you are getting #VALUE errors, either use
    ISERR() or ISERROR() just as you used ISNA() in the first one. That will
    handle those cases for you.

  4. #4
    Excelerate-nl
    Guest

    RE: Formula result as real empty/blank cell

    Dear JLatham,

    Thanks for responding. Your suggestion will solve downstream errors, but
    when the outcome of the formula relates to a lot of other formulas it is not
    a nice scenario.
    I guess it's just not possible to define a result of a formula as a blank
    cell (would be a good suggestion for Microsoft to have something as BLANK(),
    similar to NA())

    Regards,

    JB

  5. #5

    Excelerate-nl wrote:
    > Dear JLatham,
    >
    > Thanks for responding. Your suggestion will solve downstream errors, but
    > when the outcome of the formula relates to a lot of other formulas it is not
    > a nice scenario.
    > I guess it's just not possible to define a result of a formula as a blank
    > cell (would be a good suggestion for Microsoft to have something as BLANK(),
    > similar to NA())
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > JB
    >
    > "JLatham" wrote:
    >
    > > In the downstream formulas where you are getting #VALUE errors, either use
    > > ISERR() or ISERROR() just as you used ISNA() in the first one. That will
    > > handle those cases for you.
    > >
    > > "Excelerate-nl" wrote:
    > >
    > > > How can I get a formula result to be an actual empty cell (usually when using
    > > > the IF function). I know that "" of NA() is an option to get a Blank cell,
    > > > but this results in errors when the result of this formula is used in another
    > > > function.
    > > >
    > > > Example: IF(isblank(a1);"";A1*B1). If A1 does not contain a value I would
    > > > like the formula to result in an EMPTY (or Blank) result. Now I have used ""
    > > > which gives no visible result in the formula cell, but when I multiply this
    > > > formula result with another value it will result in #VALUE!
    > > >
    > > > It seems to be one of the shortcommings of Excel!?
    > > >
    > > > Regards JB

Closed Thread