50% formula

  1. #1
    wally
    Guest

    50% formula

    I have winxp 2003.
    I have a sheet named data which has a list of names that looks like
    this;
    in cell a1 #1 Jackson - #2 Johnson
    in cell a2 #3 Smith - #4 Jones, etc, with different names for six
    more cell counting down.
    In addition each name listed has their own sheet assigned to them,
    sheet 1 is Jackson, sheet 2 is Johnson, sheet 3 is Smith, etc. In cell
    r3 of each sheet s a two digit number, i.e. sheet 1, r3 84, sheet 2, r3
    54, etc.
    I would like to take the number on sheet 1, cell r3 compared to the
    number on sheet 2, cell r3, then take 50% of the difference of the two
    numbers and give to the person with the lowest number. I don't mean to
    add it to the existing number but just show the difference in a
    separate cell along side the name of the person on sheet named data.
    Therefore, if sheet1, r3 has 84 and sheet 2 r3 has 34, 50% of the
    difference of 30 is 15 and 15 is given to #2 in a separate cell along
    side the name of Johnson. All numbers are to be rounded down to no
    fractions. If both numbers are the same in cell r3 a zero would show in
    cell bx. The final product would look like this;
    cell a1 cell b1
    Jackson - Johnson Johnson 15
    cell a2 cell b2
    Smith - Jones Smith 5
    cell a3 cell b3
    Callis - Dallas 0
    Etc, for the next 5 cells containing the rest of the list.
    I hope you folks can help, thank you in advance.
    Wally

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by wally
    I would like to take the number on sheet 1, cell r3 compared to the
    number on sheet 2, cell r3, then take 50% of the difference of the two
    numbers and give to the person with the lowest number.
    Therefore, if sheet1, r3 has 84 and sheet 2 r3 has 34, 50% of the
    difference of 30 is 15 and 15 is given to #2 in a separate cell along
    side the name of Johnson.
    Wally
    Where did the 30 come from?

  3. #3
    wally
    Guest

    Re: 50% formula

    iturnrocks wrote:
    > wally Wrote:
    > >
    > > I would like to take the number on sheet 1, cell r3 compared to the
    > > number on sheet 2, cell r3, then take 50% of the difference of the two
    > > numbers and give to the person with the lowest number.
    > > Therefore, if sheet1, r3 has 84 and sheet 2 r3 has 34, 50% of the
    > > difference of 30 is 15 and 15 is given to #2 in a separate cell along
    > > side the name of Johnson.
    > > Wally

    > Where did the 30 come from?
    > Sorry, I made a mistake. The 30 should be 50 that is, 84-34=50. So 50% of 50 is 25 and 25 goes to #2.

    Does that clear it up?, Thanks