Vlookup not Resolving

  1. #1
    PatK
    Guest

    Vlookup not Resolving

    Hey, I have had this problem numerous times...looking for any pointers:

    I create a vlookup like:

    =vlookup(A2,Detail!D2:G907,4,FALSE)

    All paramters "exist". When I hit enter after typing the function, it acts
    as if the field is simply a 'text' field. In other words, it does not resolve
    the vlookup. It just acts as if the formula was a textual value that I
    wanted in the field.

    In the past, when this has occurred, I have tried making sure the Cell is
    formatted as "general," etc, and in so doing, the problem had resolved, but
    not this time. Any idea why Excel would not actually resolve a function like
    this? I can handle an error, but I cannot handle "nothing."

    HELP!

    Pat

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup not Resolving

    Hi Patk,

    take a look if the data (Detail!D2:G907) are in ascending order

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup not Resolving

    Pat,
    The field must be text (as it is not being actioned at all ) so
    format cell as General, highlight formula and hit enter. If necessary, "clear
    contents" and re-enter formula.

    I tested this scenario and doing the above resolved it.

  4. #4

    Re: Vlookup not Resolving

    Format the cell as general
    then select that cell
    hit F2 then enter.

    Excel will see that it's a formula.

  5. #5
    PatK
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup not Resolving

    thanks...between all of this, I got it working. I found a problem: I had
    "inserted" the row that I was entering the Vlookup forumla for, and it
    inherited the validation from the adjacent rows. Once I got rid of that, as
    well..things went swimmingly...thanks for all the help!!!