Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    shelian1
    Guest

    Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    I have downloaded this template from the website & have done some revamping
    to fit our needs. The letter codes in this template stand for different
    things (of course) & each letter figures as one point. I need two of these
    letters to figure as 1/2 point. Is there a way to do this?

  2. #2
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    What do you mean by 1/2 point?

  3. #3
    shelian1
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    Since it is an attendance form for employees we are figuring an unexcused
    absence as "1" point so if I enter "U" which means "Unexcused" then the form
    figures it as 1 point. But I need it to figure if I put a "G" in the cell it
    reads it as 1/2 point (or .5) not "1". I hope this explained it better.
    There is only 2 letters that need to figure as .5 the rest is fine as "1".

  4. #4
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    Format the cells that need to show .5 as decimals. It sounds like your cells
    are fomatted to round up to the whole digit.

  5. #5
    shelian1
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    I have tried that, but it don't work. You see all I enter in the cell is a
    letter like "L" & the system automatically figures it as "1", but there isn't
    any formula in the cell you put the letter in just a drop down list showing
    the letter allowed to be put into the cells. I can't even manually put in
    ".5" it won't except it so that tells me when they set up the form at
    Microsoft they validated these cells & I don't have a clue how to fix it to
    read as .5.

  6. #6
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    Sounds like a data validation issue then.

    Select the cell in question, go to Data-->Validation and see if there is a
    restriction on the type of data that can be put in the cell (i.e., text, a
    list, a number, etc.) Clear whatever validation there is and see if you can
    enter .5 then.

    Dave

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    Please provide a URL to the template in question so we may download to look at
    it with an eye to assisting you.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  8. #8
    shelian1
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    It is in the Microsoft website under templates "Attendance calendar" is the
    name of the file for excel. Hope you can find it & help me. It is about to
    drive me NUTS!!!

  9. #9
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    And what prevented you from finding it at that site and posting the URL?

    There are several Attendance Templates at that site.

    I will take a guess at the one you are using.

    From G119:R130 is a series of =COUNTIF formulas

    Change G119 to =COUNTIF(January,$B119)/2

    Drag/copy this across and down to R130

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  10. #10
    shelian1
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    That just may work. I didn't copy the URL because I would have had to get
    out of the discussion to get to it & then back in to answer you. I thought
    just telling you the area & name of it that you could find it & I was right
    you got the correct one. Thank you! I will try it & let you know if it
    worked or not.

  11. #11
    shelian1
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    IT WORKED, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

  12. #12
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003- Benefit attandance calendar

    BTW

    Info only.

    If you used a real news reader instead of the Windows CDO to access these
    groups, you would not have to leave your reader to go to a website.

    Outlook Express comes with Windows OS

    I use Agent and would not change.

    Gord