Please help - sorting list of numbers

  1. #1
    ivoryblue1
    Guest

    Please help - sorting list of numbers

    Hello,

    I am not so good with using excel and nobody in my office can figure out
    what I'm doing wrong.

    I am trying to sort a list of folders first by Box Letter and then by Folder
    Number. I want my list to look like this:
    Box Folder
    A 1
    A 2
    A 3
    B 1
    B 2
    B 3
    and so on.

    But whenever I sort the information, the numbers are all out of order. My
    list looks more like 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 21, 22, 3, etc. I know if I were to
    insert a 0 before each single digit number, it would sort correctly, however
    there are several thousand entries on this list and I don't want to go
    through and add several thousand 0's. I think it has something to do with
    the formatting of my columns, but I've changed it to everything available and
    still it sorts incorrectly. What else can I do?

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: Please help - sorting list of numbers

    It's because your numbers are formatted as text. Simply doing a
    Format->Cells->Number doesn't fix unfortunately. Follow these steps to get
    it working:

    Copy an empty cell
    Select your range of numbers
    Right click choose "Paste Special"
    Select "Add" and hit OK

    Dave

  3. #3
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Please help - sorting list of numbers

    I'd bet the values (1,2,3...) are TEXT values, not numeric. Reformat as
    General, then copy an unused (empty) cell & paste special values & "Add" to
    the range & try again.
    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...