linking cell colors

  1. #1
    abielo
    Guest

    linking cell colors

    How can I link the color in one cell to the color in another cell?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: linking cell colors

    "abielo" wrote:
    > How can I link the color in one cell to the color in another cell?

    Don't think its possible to "link" fill colors / cell formats, if you're
    thinking along the lines of what is done via simple link formulas, eg:
    =Sheet1!A1
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    abielo
    Guest

    Re: linking cell colors

    That's what I was asking, to "link" fill colors. How about a "color" function
    or something like that, which will allow you to get the color of a particular
    cell?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: linking cell colors

    "abielo" wrote:
    > .. How about a "color" function or something like that,
    > which will allow you to get the color of a particular cell?

    Try Bob Phillips' page on "Processing Coloured Cells" at:
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....html#counting

    Here's a sample file (~ "starter's kit") which
    contains an implementation of Bob Phillips' ColorIndex
    Function from his "Processing Coloured Cells" page (link above)
    and some examples on how to use the UDF in Excel
    (kit was given in response to a previous query)

    Link to the sample file (construct details inside):
    http://cjoint.com/?irheM1JmFp
    CountSumCellsByColor_Using_BobPhillips_ColorIndex_UDF.xls

    An earlier link to the sample is still valid:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/3232462
    but think my archives' host: savefile.com is down at the moment

    Note that as the UDF is non volatile, recalc has to be
    forced, even if calc mode is set to Automatic. Press
    F9 to force recalc. Read the section "Constraints" in
    Bob's page. The sample should help you get started ..