If and Or

  1. #1
    Excel neophyte
    Guest

    If and Or

    Please don't laugh, but I am having difficulties coming up with a formula
    that satisfies all criteria. This is the situation for a single cell, Line 5.

    If Line 1 is greater than Line 2, then Line 2 is the minimum amount
    required. Enter that amount on Line 5.

    If Line 2 is greater than Line 1, compare Line 3 to Line 1. If Line 3 is
    greater than Line 1, the amount on Line 3 is the minimum dollar amount
    required. If Line 1 is greater than Line 3, then the Amount on line 1 is
    the minimum amount required. Enter that amount on Line 5.

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: If and Or

    in A5:

    =IF(A1>A2,A2,IF(A3>A1,A3,A1))

    but what happens if A1=A2 orA3=A1?

    HTH

  3. #3
    Excel neophyte
    Guest

    RE: If and Or

    What you offered produced no value at all. As to the other question if
    A1=A2, that is the value that should be in A5. The rest is moot. If A1=A3,
    same thing. Both questions could not happen at the same time, as A3 is
    always 80% of A2.

    Care to try again on this one? Thanks for your help!

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: If and Or

    Well... it worked when I tested it and it will always poduce a value, even if
    zero!

    What values do you have in A1,A2,A3?

  5. #5
    Excel neophyte
    Guest

    RE: If and Or

    dollar amounts

  6. #6
    Excel neophyte
    Guest

    RE: If and Or

    Toppers,... Got it! Thanks so much for your help.