A correct formula gives an incorrect figure

  1. #1
    GarMcCas
    Guest

    A correct formula gives an incorrect figure

    In a payrol sheet I am adding a row of numbers calculating the amount paid in
    one month. There are 4 numbers all ending in 1. the formula I used to
    calculate is a very basic formula. It is =SUM(G10:G14). Instead of giving
    me the last number as 4, it gives me a 5.

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: A correct formula gives an incorrect figure

    GarMcCas wrote:
    > In a payrol sheet I am adding a row of numbers calculating the amount
    > paid in one month. There are 4 numbers all ending in 1. the formula
    > I used to calculate is a very basic formula. It is =SUM(G10:G14).
    > Instead of giving me the last number as 4, it gives me a 5.

    Maybe the numbers have also a decimal hidden part...

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Michael M
    Guest

    RE: A correct formula gives an incorrect figure

    Hi
    In that case it must be rounding !!
    Have a look at your data to be summed and see if it is calculating to more
    decimal places than appears on the screen by formatting the cell that is
    giving you the wrong answer and see if it is formatted to enough decimal
    places

    HTH
    Michael M

  4. #4
    salut
    Guest

    RE: A correct formula gives an incorrect figure

    Like 1.2+1.3+1.2+1.2=4.9
    Or what you see is 1+1+1+1=5.

  5. #5
    GarMcCas
    Guest

    RE: A correct formula gives an incorrect figure

    I did find the error, there were numbers not showing, I went into options on
    the tools area and checked calculations, and clicked precision as displayed