How to keep 0 in front of # in excel (ex: 018787766316)

  1. #1
    Rob
    Guest

    How to keep 0 in front of # in excel (ex: 018787766316)

    I have a UPC code I am trying to upload to nextag. When I convert the UPC
    code to Numbers or Text and then save the file as .csv for uploading, the
    first digit of the UPC code disappears.

    Ex: 0-18787-76631-6 I have to remove all dashes, apostrophes, etc, as per
    Nextag specs, and in order for the zero to remain as the first digit I have
    to convcer the formatting of the cell to text, but when I save the file for
    upload the zero drops off, and I am left with 18787766316, which results in
    an error. Any ideas???

  2. #2
    Jim Reed
    Guest

    Re: How to keep 0 in front of # in excel (ex: 018787766316)

    Try formatting the cell as text before entering the data.

  3. #3
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: How to keep 0 in front of # in excel (ex: 018787766316)

    I realize how to format the cell, as stated below, the problem is when I save
    the file and reopen the formatting changes. Example: I take the UPC code
    0-18787-76631-6, format the cell for text and remove the dashes. All is
    fine. I then save the file so I can retrieve it for upload in nextag's
    interface and when I reopen the file, the 0 in front of the number is gone.
    I need to be able to keep that zero infront of the number as it is crucial to
    the UPC code. Any other ideas???

  4. #4

    Re: How to keep 0 in front of # in excel (ex: 018787766316)

    I have no idea what nextag is, but if you're just re-opening the CVS file in
    excel to check to see if things worked correctly, stop doing this!

    Open that text CSV file in Notepad--or any other text editor.

    The CSV file will look pretty in Notepad, but excel will do what it wants when
    it opens the file (numbers will be treated as numbers; things that look like
    dates, will be treated as dates).

    You can have more control over how excel sees the data if you rename the file
    from *.csv to *.txt when you can make choices from the data import wizard.