Show values in formula instead of cell reference

  1. #1

    Show values in formula instead of cell reference

    For the life of me I don't know how to change a formula in a cell i.e. =A1 + D4 which will give a final value to show the actual values for A1 & D4 i.e. 2 + 4 = 6 and show this equation in the cell itself. Is this possible?

    It's for a school project for my son who's 10yo.

    Can anyone help please?

    Cheers from downunder - Melbourne.

    Pasha

  2. #2
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by pnorgate
    For the life of me I don't know how to change a formula in a cell i.e. =A1 + D4 which will give a final value to show the actual values for A1 & D4 i.e. 2 + 4 = 6 and show this equation in the cell itself. Is this possible?

    It's for a school project for my son who's 10yo.

    Can anyone help please?

    Cheers from downunder - Melbourne.

    Pasha
    Hi pnogate,

    Just put an apostrophe ' before the equals sign

    '=A1 + D4

    oldchippy

  3. #3
    Yes I tried that but that will give me only the references in that cell like =G4+F3 but what I would like to show is the actual value of G4 & F3 in the formula so it would read either =4+3 or better still show the answer as well like 7=4+3

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Show values in formula instead of cell reference

    ="h1+6="&VALUE(H1+6)

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  5. #5
    Thanks for that however it is still not quite what I am looking to achieve.
    Imagine a table with rows and columns like in a scool book but instead of just showing the answer as below I want to show the formula as values - see second table below what I mean.

    Table 1
    + 1 2 3
    1 2 3 4
    2 3 4 5
    3 4 5 6

    Table 2
    + 1 2 3
    1 1+1=2 1+2=3 1+3=4
    2 2+1=3 2+2=4 2+3=5
    3 3+1=4 3+2=5 3+3=6

    Can anyone help please?

    Cheers,

    Pasha

  6. #6
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Show values in formula instead of cell reference

    This does the trick

    =TEXT(B1,"#")&" + "& TEXT(A2,"#")&" = "&B1+A2

    Mike

  7. #7
    Perfect!!!

    Many many thx to all that contributed and I hope it will prove helpful to anyone else stuck on "school work".

    Pasha