Sorting by 5 digit & 5 digit plus 4 zip codes

  1. #1
    D Marie
    Guest

    Sorting by 5 digit & 5 digit plus 4 zip codes

    I need to sort a mailing list by zip code that contains mixed 5 digit and 5
    digit plus 4 zip codes. How do I get the plus 4 zip codes in order behind
    the 5 digit zip codes? All of the plus 4 zip codes appear in zip code
    order at the end of all of the 5 digit zip codes.

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Sorting by 5 digit & 5 digit plus 4 zip codes

    Let's say that your mixed zip codes are in Column A, starting in A2.
    In B2 enter "=Left(A2,5)" without the quotes. Drag that formula down as far
    as Column A goes. That gives you all the 5-digit codes in Column B.
    In C2 enter "=Right(A2,4)" without the quotes. Drag that formula down as
    far as Column A goes. That gives you the 4-digit codes.
    Select all of Columns B & C from row 2 down as far as Column A goes. Do
    Edit - Copy. Select B2. Do Edit - PasteSpecial - Values. That changes
    nothing except that the formulas are gone.
    Now sort all 3 columns by Column B, then by Column C.
    Delete Columns B:C.
    Done. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...