IF function returning incorrect result

  1. #1
    Hillary E.
    Guest

    IF function returning incorrect result

    I am trying to perform what I think should be a simple function - trying to
    convert an alpha character to a specified numeric value. I have a column that
    contains either a C, E or N that I need to assign a numeric value to as
    follows: C=1, E or N=0. I My column header (A1) is C and I am using the IF
    function to do this conversion. The function popup window it is putting the
    correct result but when I press okay the wrong value is displayed. For
    example my value in A2 is C, so I set the formula up to say if A2=A1 is true,
    value returned should be 1, if A2=A1 is false, value returned should be 0.
    The formula is telling me that this is a true statement, but it keeps
    returning the false value of 0. I am on Windows 2000 Professional with Excel
    2002. This should be a simple conversion, but it will not work and it is
    driving me crazy. I am sure I must be doing something obviously wrong. Is it
    because I am attempting to compare text to text with the = sign? Any help or
    suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: IF function returning incorrect result

    as ALWAYS, post your efforts for comments

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    What formula are you trying? Perhaps you just need

    =(A2=A$1)+0