How do I sort records that are on two lines in a spreadsheet?

  1. #1
    ecox
    Guest

    How do I sort records that are on two lines in a spreadsheet?

    I have a spreadsheet that I am trying to sort. The records are on two rows
    with the first row, first column containing the record number. I want to
    sort the file and maintain the records.

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort records that are on two lines in a spreadsheet?

    Assuming you have contiguous data in the second column, insert a new
    third column (temporarily), then click on your first record number
    (assume this is A2) and press F5 - select Special then Current Region.
    Press F5 again, select Special then Blanks. Then:

    type the = sign,
    click on A2 (or the cell above),
    type +0.1
    press CTRL-ENTER

    This will make all the blank cells 0.1 higher than the record number
    above it. Fix the values, get rid of the temporary third column and
    sort.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I sort records that are on two lines in a spreadsheet?

    Add the record number to the blank rows in first column.

    How to do..........

    Select column A and F5>Special>Blanks>OK

    Enter an = sign in the active cell then point to cell above and hit CTRL + ENTER

    Copy column A and in place paste special>values>ok>esc

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP