part number with 'E'

  1. #1
    chiuinggum
    Guest

    part number with 'E'

    I copy a part number 0613952E01 and when paste it to excel it turn out to be
    6.14E+06. It try to paste special it into text but it doesnt work. Appreciate
    your help.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: part number with 'E'

    precede it with a single apostrophe '

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: part number with 'E'

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:50:02 -0800, "chiuinggum"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I copy a part number 0613952E01 and when paste it to excel it turn out to be
    >6.14E+06. It try to paste special it into text but it doesnt work. Appreciate
    >your help.

    Huh? I don't see a "paste special text" option on the edit menu in Excel 2002.
    So I can't help you with that.

    But if you format the cell as TEXT **before** you paste the value into it, you
    should be able to execute and ordinary paste operation.

    --ron

  4. #4
    chiuinggum
    Guest

    Re: part number with 'E'

    yes if it only one part number i can always have a apostrope ' ...but in
    actual case i have a list of 200 part number with 'E'

  5. #5
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: part number with 'E'

    > Huh? I don't see a "paste special text" option on the edit menu in Excel
    > 2002.

    Hi. I think the op is using "paste special" from a copy operation in a
    non-Excel program.
    If Excel is in Linking mode, (copied from within Excel) then paste special
    pulls up it's own "Paste Special" window.
    If copied from say "Notepad", then Paste special in Excel pulls up Windows
    Paste Special, with limited capabilities.
    From Notepad, I see Paste Special | Text (& Unicode text). If copied from
    Wordpad, there are a few more options. :>)
    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: part number with 'E'

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:49:00 -0500, "Dana DeLouis" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> Huh? I don't see a "paste special text" option on the edit menu in Excel
    >> 2002.

    >Hi. I think the op is using "paste special" from a copy operation in a
    >non-Excel program.
    >If Excel is in Linking mode, (copied from within Excel) then paste special
    >pulls up it's own "Paste Special" window.
    >If copied from say "Notepad", then Paste special in Excel pulls up Windows
    >Paste Special, with limited capabilities.
    >From Notepad, I see Paste Special | Text (& Unicode text). If copied from
    >Wordpad, there are a few more options. :>)

    OK, that's a possibility, depending on what he is doing. However,
    pre-formatting the cells as TEXT should still solve his problem, I would think.

    --ron

  7. #7
    Roland
    Guest

    Re: part number with 'E'

    Are you copying from Excel, or from another application?

  8. #8
    chiuinggum
    Guest

    Re: part number with 'E'

    Yes I copied from a web base application.

  9. #9
    DC
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: part number with 'E'

    Sorry to resurrect an old post. I had a similar instance during ANOVA of some helpdesk phone data. My value came to 7.3E-19. The solution was to format the cell's number to include 20 (arbitrary number > 19) decimal places. Therefore my value was 0.00000000000000000073.