Closed Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

RANK, duplicate ranking but no gaps in rank

  1. #1

    RANK, duplicate ranking but no gaps in rank

    I have a list of data that I wish to rank, but I do not want the gaps in the ranking numbers created by duplicates in the data, ie.

    Data Rank Req
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3
    3 3
    6 4
    7 5

    Thanks

    Arron

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: RANK, duplicate ranking but no gaps in rank

    =RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$10,1)+COUNTIF($A$1:$A1,A1)-1

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks for replying Bob but that is not not I am after.

    I believe your solution gives unique rankings, whereas I am after a solution that allows duplicate rankings but where the rank numbers are continuous, ie. no gaps.

    Note that the 3s in the data col get a rank of 3, and the next data entry, 6, gets a rank of 4, not 5 as the standard RANK() return would be.

    Thanks in advance.

    Arron

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: RANK, duplicate ranking but no gaps in rank

    Assuming that A2:A7 contains the data, try the following formula which
    needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER...

    B2, copied down:

    =SUM(IF(A2>$A$2:$A$7,1/COUNTIF($A$2:$A$7,$A$2:$A$7)))+1

    Hope this helps!

    In article <[email protected]>,

  5. #5
    Thanks Domenic

    That is exactly what I am after - and not a RANK() to be seen!

    Cheers

    Arron

  6. #6
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: RANK, duplicate ranking but no gaps in rank

    Hi Folks

    Sorry for hacking this thread... i have exactly the same issue.... I have tried the formula by Domenic but it gives me the rank in reverse order
    I am trying to rank Percentages instead of whole numbers.

    Any help please.

    Thanks
    Last edited by allana13; 06-06-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Adding info
    Striving for perfection....

  7. #7
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: RANK, duplicate ranking but no gaps in rank

    Sorry folks please ignore

    I have fixed the formula by changing the signs

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by allana13 View Post

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: RANK, duplicate ranking but no gaps in rank

    Allana,

    Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread. It makes sense to have a new thread for your question because a thread with numerous replies can be off putting & difficult to pick out relevant replies.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

Closed Thread