Cell Ref. in Formula changes automatically

  1. #1
    knighthawk
    Guest

    Cell Ref. in Formula changes automatically

    My formulas are changing automatically and I can't figure out how to turn off
    the feature. Example;

    Columns C thru K contain numeric values. Column M contains a the formula
    SUM(Cx:Ex) where x is the row #. As I'm keying data in cells C5, D5 & E5
    everything is fine. When I key a number into F5 however the formula
    automatically changes to include column F (i.e. SUM(C5:F5)). Excel makes the
    assumption that just because there's a number in F5 that it should be
    included in the formula. I've gone into Tools>Options>Error Checking and
    played with the settings even so far as disabling 'background error
    checking'. Now Excel changes my formula, it just doesn't call my attention
    to it with a colored triangle in the upper left of the cell.

    I know I'm missing something, any idea what?

  2. #2
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: Cell Ref. in Formula changes automatically

    Tools/Options/Edit/ turn off extend list formats and formulas.
    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  3. #3
    New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Cell Ref. in Formula changes automatically

    Under Tools: Excel Options: Advanced

    Uncheck the setting/option for :- Extend Data Range formats and formulas
    This may be a little different dependant on the version of Excel you have.