Scanning a Number into Excel

  1. #1

    Scanning a Number into Excel

    I am trying to scan a number that is 24 digits long into an Excel spread sheet. I have formated the cells to numbers and removed the decimal places and it scans into the cell but when i move to the next cell it changes the last 9 digits to 0. Is there some way to keep all the 24 digits? Thanks

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Scanning a Number into Excel

    Hi Driver

    Excel's numbers are limited to 15.
    You need to have the cell formatted as Text, if you want to have numbers
    greater than 15 digits entered.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    "Driver" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Scanning a Number into Excel

    Any chance you can scan to a .Txt file and then use excel's File|open to open
    that text file?

    You'll see the text import wizard open and you'll be able to tell excel to treat
    those long digit fields as text.

    (Or is there an option in your scanning software where you specify the field
    type (Text) for excel?)

  4. #4
    london
    MS-Off Ver
    msoffice2010

    Re: Scanning a Number into Excel

    how to scan 15 digit numbers to excel is there any scanner for that??

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Barrington, IL
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007/2010
    Posts
    1,211

    Re: Scanning a Number into Excel

    Please start a new thread if you have a new question; this thread is almost 9 years old.
    You should hit F5, because chances are I've edited this post at least 5 times.
    Example of Array Formulas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacc View Post
    Sorry, your description makes no sense. I just made some formula that looks interesting cause I had nothing else to do.
    Click the * below on any post that helped you.