How to convert numbers to corresponding letters? Ex: 123 to abc

  1. #1
    jplazola
    Guest

    How to convert numbers to corresponding letters? Ex: 123 to abc

    I am trying to find a formula that will convert existing number combinations
    into corresponding letter combinations in Excel. The relationship of numbers
    to letters is as follows:
    1 = A 6 = F
    2 = B 7 = G
    3 = C 8 = H
    4 = D 9 = I
    5 = E 0 = J

    For example, I'd like to convert a cell that contains '1250' to 'ABEJ'

    I've had no success with the HELP feature in Excel.

    Thank you for any help you may provide
    Jason
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Eddie O
    Guest

    RE: How to convert numbers to corresponding letters? Ex: 123 to abc

    try playing with the CODE and CHAR functions.

    Eddie O

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How to convert numbers to corresponding letters? Ex: 123 to abc

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:35:02 -0700, "jplazola"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am trying to find a formula that will convert existing number combinations
    >into corresponding letter combinations in Excel. The relationship of numbers
    >to letters is as follows:
    >1 = A 6 = F
    >2 = B 7 = G
    >3 = C 8 = H
    >4 = D 9 = I
    >5 = E 0 = J
    >
    >For example, I'd like to convert a cell that contains '1250' to 'ABEJ'
    >
    >I've had no success with the HELP feature in Excel.
    >
    >Thank you for any help you may provide
    >Jason
    >[email protected]

    The problem is concatenating the resultant array of letters. One solution to
    that problem is to go to http://xcell05.free.fr/english/.

    and download and install Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in.

    Then use the MCONCAT function in this *array* formula:

    =MCONCAT(CHOOSE(1+MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT(
    "1:"&LEN(A1))),1),"J","A","B","C","D","E","F","G","H","I"))

    To enter an array formula, after typing or pasting it in, hold down
    formula.

    --ron

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: How to convert numbers to corresponding letters? Ex: 123 to abc

    fist make a table with your conversion data
    then if all of the number cominations are 4 long

    =vlookup(value(mid(number,1,1)),
    table,2)&vlookup(value(mid(number,2,1)),table,2)&vlookup(value(mid(number,3,1)),table,2)&vlookup(value(mid(number,4,1)),table,2)
    if you have varying length of number combinations you can make if more
    complex by adding if(len() levels

  5. #5
    Fred
    Guest

    RE: How to convert numbers to corresponding letters? Ex: 123 to abc

    Try this:
    =IF(INT(A1/1000)=0,"J",CHAR(INT(A1/1000)+64))&IF(INT(MOD(A1,1000)/100)=0,"J",CHAR(INT(MOD(A1,1000)/100)+64))&IF(INT(MOD(A1,100)/10)=0,"J",CHAR(INT(MOD(A1,100)/10)+64))&IF(MOD(A1,10)=0,"J",CHAR(MOD(A1,10)+64))

    Only works for 4 digit numbers

    HTH

  6. #6
    Pasadena, California
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: How to convert numbers to corresponding letters? Ex: 123 to abc

    Jplazola: Consider using the function as described below.

    =SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,,4),1,"")$AM1 where $AM1 is the cell that contain the number 1,2,3 or so you want to convert to A,B,C or so.