Format Round to Nearest Thousand

  1. #1
    GillianHG
    Guest

    Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    I posted this earlier but didn't get the answer I needed so will try again.

    I have a user who wants a custom FORMAT to round to the nearest thousand.
    (Eg if she has 104580, she wants it to round to 105000.) I tried #,##0 but
    it takes off the
    last three 0's which need to display. Does anyone know the syntax for this?

    She does not want to use the ROUND function; she needs the actual number to
    remain for calculating, she just wants to change the display.

    Thanks for your help!

    --
    Thanks,
    GillianHG

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    Hi Gillian,

    Use another cell with a ROUND formula instead, and hide the original.
    Very misleading this, by the way. I don't know your application, but my accountant would not sign my books if he found any tricks
    like this one.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    Try this:

    #,\0\0\0
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    Try something like this:

    <Format><Cells><Number tab>
    Category: Custom
    Type: #,##0,"000"

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  5. #5
    United States
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    When I figured this out, I wanted to slap myself.

    Use negative numbers for significant digits.

    =round(number, -3) will round to the nearest 1,000.

    Hope that helps.

  6. #6
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    That's true, but it's not what the OP asked for in this five year old thread.

    > She does not want to use the ROUND function; she needs the actual number to
    > remain for calculating, she just wants to change the display.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    Hi,

    Would this custom format do what you are looking for?

    [>999999]$#,,"M";[>999]$#,"K";$#

    Steve=True
    Last edited by teylyn; 09-23-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: removed link

  8. #8
    Forum Expert teylyn's Avatar
    New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365 Insider Fast
    Posts
    11,372

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    Steve=True,

    as shg has already pointed out, this thread is several years old.

    As I've mentioned in my recent communication with you, this forum is not a vehicle for your SEO, so please refrain from linking to your website unless it's relevant to the question.

    Even if the question was still active, your suggestion does not do what the OP asked for, and I perceive your comment as a way to plant yet another link to your web site, which I have now deleted.

  9. #9
    Ardmore, OK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    I know this is in response to old thread, but, by experimenting I used custom format of "$#,###," for currency rounding to the nearest thousand and it worked.

  10. #10
    UAE
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2019

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    I know this is very old, but i came across the similar issue - i used this format

  11. #11
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,929

    Re: Format Round to Nearest Thousand

    Thanks for the input.
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford