wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually only

  1. #1
    DaveT
    Guest

    wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually only

    When I use the wrap text option for a cell, the data in the cell is no longer
    viewable when I move to another cell but is clearly still there when the cell
    is activated again. The data string can be any length so exceeding the
    maximum number of characters in not the problem. When I double click in the
    cell or click in the formula area the data reappears in the cell. Any idea
    what might be causing this?

  2. #2
    Hanr3
    Guest

    RE: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually only

    Did you format the row height to automatic?
    --
    Life is an adventure, are you living it?

    These are just my opinions, please feel free to correct them if they are
    wrong.

  3. #3
    DaveT
    Guest

    RE: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    Yes it is set to automatic. The file works fine on other computers so it is
    definitley a setting issue on my computer. I just don't know which setting
    is causing it. It is a new computer so it may be an issue caused by initial
    set-up. It has to be something simple...

  4. #4
    Chris
    Guest

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    I am having this problem as well. Whenever word wrap is enabled on a
    cell, the text is not visible in the cell. If I select the cell, the
    text is visible in the formula bar. It is also visible in Print
    Preview. The issue is not related to cell width or height... it occurs
    even with a small entry in the cell. The text color is not white on a
    white background. So it is something else on this PC. The same file
    works fine on another PC. Any help would be appreciated.

  5. #5
    Hanr3
    Guest

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    Check to make sure the data from an adjoining cell isn't hidding this cell.
    Easiest way is to auto adjust the column wideth of the surrounding
    coumns/rows. Also make sure the date isn't centered in the cell.

  6. #6
    HFB
    Guest

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    I also had this issue in Excel 2003 and XP. I do not know enough about
    Excel to know why this worked, but I solved it by having Excel
    re-register with the OS. This can be done by going to the "Run..."
    command in the start menu and typing the following:

    Excel /o

    Be sure to close Excel before running this command. This evidently
    re-registers Excel and fixes the bad value. I hope this helps, it took
    me a long time to figure it out, and an Excel expert finally helped me
    clear it up!

    - Jason

  7. #7

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    I also have this issue. The main differences are that I'm using Excel
    2000, and XP. It's on a laptop using dual monitors, but switching
    monitors doesn't help.

    I've tried the instructions below (Excel /o) and it does not fix my
    problem.

    Lakin

  8. #8

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    I found a workaround. The laptop that I'm using has an external
    monitor hooked up to it. Whenever this starts to happen, if I open the
    display settings and disable one of the monitors, then click apply, it
    starts to work. The odd thing is that I can then re-enable the monitor
    and it still works.

    It's been working since then, and I can no longer reproduce the
    problem. I assume that the problem will crop up again eventually.

    I hope this helps some of you deal with the problem, and maybe this
    will help us track down the true cause.

    Lakin

  9. #9

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    Thank you! Thank you!

    This issue was causing me great grief, but the Excel /o did the trick

  10. #10
    Garth
    Guest

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    Thank you Lakin! This workaround solved my issue. Must be an issue when you
    expand your desktop to multiple monitors. I did notice this morning when I
    booted up today after docking my laptop, my Windows login screen was showing
    on my external monitor instead of my laptop display (where it usually shows).
    After that I experienced this text wrapping issue. As soon as I stopped
    expanding my desktop, and then re-enabled it, the problem went away.

    It's the typical Windows fix, isn't it? Turn something off, and then turn it
    on again to get the fixed result. I remember reading something about
    repeating actions and the definition of insanity that closely resembles this
    behavior... !

  11. #11

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    Thanks Lakin! My situation was identical to Garth's with the multiple
    monitors, the login screen being on the second monitor after I docked
    my laptop, and the text wrap issue. I tried all the various Run
    commands, but the only thing that fixed it was disabling & re-enabling
    my second monitor. What an odd problem! At least the workaround is
    pretty simple.

  12. #12
    Shannon Jacobs
    Guest

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually

    I'm encountering this problem too, but none of the suggestions elsewhere in
    this old-but-long thread helped. I'm not convinced it is even related to the
    wrap text function, though that was one of the first things I checked.

    Not sure if it will help, but... I'm seeing it in several forms. One is that
    all of the text in the cell becomes a single line of XXXXs when I leave the
    cell. The original text spans several lines, and it reappears when the cell
    is selected. In the other form, only the last part of the data disappears
    (but completely) when I leave the cell. I pasted that data into a new cell,
    just to see what happens, and the new copy also disappears when I leave its
    cell.

    Anyone else have new ideas? But for now, I'm off to search for new candidate
    threads...

  13. #13
    Bucharest, Romania
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: wrap text function causes data to disappear in cell (visually only

    Try this: check that the colour of the font is not set to white. If it is, and your cell is also white, you will only see the text in the text bar, not in the cell. Set the font colour to automatic or another colour and the writing will show up. Hope this helps, it worked for me.