how do I put a a sequence number into colun A automatically witho.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custodio Bernardes
    Guest

    how do I put a a sequence number into colun A automatically witho.

    I would like to give a number to every item I write in every row in excel
    automatically in order not to repeat it, in every row I display name and
    related specs of each item I sell, example
    101 printer
    102 scanner
    103 camera
    104 scanner
    105 printer
    I'm trying to give each item I sell a personal number to which we may refer
    in the future, we and the customer who bought it, thanks for the help

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: how do I put a a sequence number into colun A automatically witho.

    Custodio,

    Assuming cell A1 is your start cell, add the number 101 to that cell. In
    cell A2 add the formula "=A1+1". Copy that formula down the range A3, A4,
    A5, etc. You should get 101 in cell A1, 102 in cell A2, 103 in cell A3, 104
    in cell A4, 105 in cell A5, etc.

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: how do I put a a sequence number into colun A automatically witho.

    Custodio,

    A formula approach can be used, but you must never insert or delete an item,
    sort the table, etc. The result will be to renumber your items. A macro
    can assign the next available number, which would be permanently put into
    the sheet. If you're willing to use a macro, we'll write you one. We'd
    need to know if deletions are allowed from the table.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    "Custodio Bernardes" <Custodio [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    Sweden