What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

  1. #1
    scorpionest
    Guest

    What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    In Statistics or Math, does anyone know what the "!" (exclamation point)
    stands for? Please HELP. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    Think it stands for factorial, e.g.:

    4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 =24
    3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6

    and in Excel, you can use FACT() to calculate factorials

    If you enter in A1: 4, put in B1: =FACT(A1)
    B1 returns 24
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    4!=4×3×2×1
    7!=7×6×5×4×3×2×1
    Not as obvious:
    0!=1
    To link your question to Excel, look up FACTORIAL in Help.

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    "Alan Beban" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >Once 0! is defined as being equal to 1, then n! =n((n - 1)!) for n a
    >positive integer.

    It's not mere convention or just a definition. In Set Theory approach, n! is
    the cardinality of the set of permutations of n items (similar to Excel's
    PERMUT(n,n)). 1! = 1 because there's only permutation, {{a}}. 0! = 1 because
    the the empty set counts as such a set, {{}}.

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    (Re-sent, apologies for the unintentioned advance dating)

  6. #6
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    Max,

    Your date is so very wrong that I will ignore you until 02/01/2025
    18:35:32.

    *plonk*

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    How to Report Bugs Effectively
    Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
    answer.
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
    o-answers.html

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    "Amedee Van Gasse" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Max,
    > Your date is so very wrong that I will ignore you until 02/01/2025
    > 18:35:32.

    Hey <g>, I did a re-post immediately then upon alert from a very alert Dave
    P.<bg>, with an apology for the unintentioned advance dating. The lame, but
    true reason: just changed me ole' harddisk at that time, din't notice that
    the sys date (year) was out by so much ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  8. #8

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    Which reminds me of a sign that was in one of my highschool class rooms:

    Be Alert
    (The world needs more lerts!)

  9. #9
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> wrote
    .... reminds me of a sign that was in one of my highschool class rooms:
    >> Be Alert

    > (The world needs more alerts!)

    aha, gotcha ! <bg>
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  10. #10
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: What does the exclamation point (!) stand for in a math equation .

    Max shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

    > "Amedee Van Gasse" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Max,
    > > Your date is so very wrong that I will ignore you until 02/01/2025
    > > 18:35:32.

    > Hey <g>, I did a re-post immediately then upon alert from a very
    > alert Dave P.<bg>, with an apology for the unintentioned advance
    > dating. The lame, but true reason: just changed me ole' harddisk at
    > that time, din't notice that the sys date (year) was out by so much ..
    > --
    > Rgds
    > Max
    > xl 97