Avoid user having to enter 00 hours when using [mm]:ss format

  1. #1
    Lady Luck
    Guest

    Avoid user having to enter 00 hours when using [mm]:ss format

    I am formatting a game sheet for sports events. Time should be entered as
    mm:ss which I have "custom" fomatted as [mm]:ss. However I cannot find a way
    to force Excel to read an entry such as 07:28 as 7 minutes and 28 seconds. It
    always assumes the user is entering hours and minutes.
    Thanks for any help
    SBB

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Avoid user having to enter 00 hours when using [mm]:ss format

    60 seconds = 1 minute
    60 minutes = 1 hour

    They both the same "numeric" value.

    Since you're locking the minutes to prevent the roll-over to hours,
    How about *USING* hours and minutes, and lock the hours to prevent the
    roll-over to days?
    [hh]:mm

    You'll get *exactly* the same display, and your data input will be much
    easier then having to enter 0 hours + minutes + seconds.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Lady_luck
    Guest

    Re: Avoid user having to enter 00 hours when using [mm]:ss format

    Thank you Ragdyer. This is not a bad idea. However doing stats such as
    counting goals per period doesn´t work anymore with

    COUNTIF(Gamepage!O9:P31;">20:00"&"<=40:00")

    Even adding an extra set of :00 is not helping for some reason.

    cheers

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Avoid user having to enter 00 hours when using [mm]:ss format

    SBB,

    Why not let it go in as hours:minutes, even though it means minutes:seconds?
    The values will be 60 times what they should be, but they'll look like they
    should. If you'll be doing any math on them, divide by 60 to correct for
    this, e.g.: =SUM(B2:B20/60), entered as an array formula (press
    Ctrl-Shift-Enter instead of Enter). This will work only when your
    disallowing hours to roll to days, as you were with the original [mm]:ss.
    Just change it to [hh]:mm.

    I think this is what RagDyer was saying too.

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

  5. #5
    Frank Kabel
    Guest

    Re: Avoid user having to enter 00 hours when using [mm]:ss format

    Hi
    see your other post

    --
    Regards