Avoid user having to enter hours when using [mm]:ss format

  1. #1
    Lady_luck
    Guest

    Avoid user having to enter hours when using [mm]:ss format

    I am formatting a spreadsheet to enter sports-score from a particular event.
    I format cells to display mm:ss using "custom" format [mm]:ss. However the
    user, it appears, has to enter 00 for hh to get the display correct. How can
    I avoid this?

  2. #2
    Frank Kabel
    Guest

    Re: Avoid user having to enter hours when using [mm]:ss format

    Hi
    as a starting point:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Lady_luck
    Guest

    Re: Avoid user having to enter hours when using [mm]:ss format

    Hi again,
    and thank you Frank for pointing out that excellent site. I do however not
    feel comfortable with diving into VBA at this point.
    I tried [hh]:mm as suggested to my "other" post (and sorry for the duplicate
    BTW), and simplified the evaluation somewhat and this now works. However
    users will be very uncomfortable seeing the date 1900.01.01 appear in front
    ef every time recorded past the 24 "minute" mark in the entry line above the
    sheet itself.
    Can I format the time field as text and have excel split the contents aroud
    the ":" character (e.g. 17:12 => 17*60+12= ) and evaluate this.
    (sorry for the opaque nature of this post, if you look 7 threads down from
    this one that twin thread may shed some light).

    Cheers
    LL

  4. #4
    Frank Kabel
    Guest

    Re: Avoid user having to enter hours when using [mm]:ss format

    Hi
    you can't do much against the formula bar appearance of such time entries
    and personally I won't split the time information in separate cells (makes
    your calculations much more complicated).

    You could hide the formula bar if you want though ('Tools - Options - View')

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel