Seeking advice on how to print a price list

  1. #1
    The Horny Goat
    Guest

    Seeking advice on how to print a price list

    I am trying to produce a price list from a large Excel spreadsheet -
    it comes down to roughly 10000 items on three columns - I'd do it in
    Excel but want to get three columns to the page but don't want to
    manually format each page (the previous version was in this format and
    took roughly 60 pages of text)

    Copying and pasting into Word crashes Word while I've not been able to
    effectively figure out mail merge to create what I'd like.

    I'm using Office 2003 but do not believe there's any way to get Excel
    to print multi-column as I'd like to. Therefore I think I'm stuck with
    porting this monster to Word.

    So what's the best strategy?

    (I'm running on a 1.6g Centrino with 512m RAM and loads of disk space)

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Seeking advice on how to print a price list

    Word's probably the easiest way to do this, but take a look here:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Assuming your master spreadsheet is sheet 1, and columns B, H, and AH are your 3 price lists (I've spread the 3 price columns very wide). Link the cells in column B (master) to the cells in column A in sheet 2 (there being 3 sheets to a workbook by default), link column H (master) to column B (sheet 2), and link column AH (master) to column C (sheet 2). Any alterations made in the 3 master columns will be repeated in the A, B and C columns in sheet 2.
    If you click on the A, B, C letters at the top, so highlighting the columns top to the bottom, you can set a print area at the top which will be continued down automatically to the bottom of the columns. You should now be able to print A4 pages showing 3 columns of prices. I don't have excel at work, so I can't test the above until I get home, tonight.

  4. #4
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Seeking advice on how to print a price list

    My Excel add-in "Side by Side" does that...
    It changes specified column(s) into a 2-up, 3-up or 4up arrangement.
    Data sequence is maintained and the area above the data remains unchanged.
    Easy to use and very fast. Comes with a one page Word.doc install/use file.
    Available - free - upon direct request. Remove xxx from my email address.

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA
    [email protected]XX

    news:[email protected]...