Location of Temp File(s) - If any

  1. #1
    RWN
    Guest

    Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Does XL create temp files (as does Word)?
    If so, where are they created?
    (Word creates them in the same directory as the Document.)

    --
    Regards;
    Rob

  2. #2
    Frank Kabel
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Hi
    it does. Normally in the regular Windows temp folder

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel
    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Thanks Frank;

    So does the rule about saving/opening directly from a floppy *not* apply to Excel?
    (I'm trying to resolve a problem for someone)

    Any idea as to the naming structure applied to the temp XL files?

    --
    Regards;
    Rob
    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    That rule applies to excel (as well as all office programs).

    It's probably not a bad rule for any program nowadays.

    If you open a workbook in excel, you can go look at the files in your Temp
    folder.

    In fact, look at your temp folder first, so you can notice the changes.

  5. #5
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Thanks Dave, I found them;
    (I was looking in the wrong "Temp" folder <blush>).

    A colleague is having problems reading a disk and mentioned that he was saving Excel files
    directly to it.
    I knew (from hard experience-a long time ago) that Word will corrupt a disk in these
    circumstances but wasn't sure if Excel would do the same.

    --
    Regards;
    Rob
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Excel will corrupt the file, trash the disk, and melt your motherboard if you work
    off a floppy. Don't do it.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  7. #7
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    I'll pass on the advice after I determine the required MOBO melting temperature:-).

    Just for my own edification however;
    Any idea why Excel would trash a floppy if, unlike Word, it's using the Temp dir on the HD
    as a work area? I always thought (wrongly-I guess) that it was the temp files that
    garbaged the diskette(?).

    --
    Regards;
    Rob
    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Frank Kabel
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Hi Jon
    :-)
    'melt the motherboard'. That would be an interesting side-effect

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel

  9. #9
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Here's one of a few articles you may find interesting...

    You receive an error message when you access files from a floppy disk in
    Excel

    Not useful, but the following will show your UserId Temp Folder..

    Debug.Print
    CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetSpecialFolder(2)

    C:\DOCUME~1\MyUserId\LOCALS~1\Temp

    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    If you've looked at the temp folder before you load a excel (and a workbook),
    then after you've loaded a workbook, you'll see some temp files. (Load the
    biggest .xls file you can find.)

    But they're not anything close to the size of the .xls file. (Unqualified guess
    follows.) I've often looked at those files as "control" files that excel uses
    to indicate that the real workbook is in use.

    I get names like:
    ~dfd8ab.tmp (with 0 bytes)
    and
    ~dfd8c7.tmp (0 bytes)

    MSWord uses a similar named file (something like: ~$doc1.doc), but it has stuff
    in it. (It looks like the name of the user who has the file open and some more
    info (my name and address). I'm not sure if it gets that from the product
    registration or maybe when I registered windows.)

    But excel's files are empty.

    The thing that worries me most about saving to any removeable media (not just
    floppies) is that when you save a copy of your workbook, excel will save it as a
    new name in the same folder. (Typically using up twice as much space on the
    disk/media--if the file stays about the same size.

    Then if that save is successful, excel will either rename the original file to
    "Backup of book1.xlk" or delete it.

    With small floppy drives (and the average size of workbooks), this would scare
    me off.

    The other part about saving to removeable media is if you remove it. Take out
    the floppy/thumb drive while you're writing to it and I bet that can't be good.

    I _think_ that a long time ago (DOS 5 after reading the KB article in Dana's
    post), that this could confuse a program good enough so that even if you put the
    disk back into the drive, it couldn't find it. (But I could be wrong--I
    remember that problem, but it's not mentioned in the KB article--so I could be
    making it up!)

    And the last portion that scares me is the number of floppies I've tossed--just
    because they were unreadable by any floppy drive. By saving to the
    harddrive/network drive, I have a built in backup. (And it's usually lots
    quicker to save to your local harddrive.)

    ========
    More about those control files in your temp folder...

    A common suggestion when your workbook opens in readonly mode is to clean up
    that temp folder (getting rid of those temp files) and reboot (killing any
    hidden instance of excel).

    Debra Dalgleish has this as part of the FAQ at her site:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly

  11. #11
    RWN
    Guest

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    Dave;
    Thank you.

    I never save/open to/from floppies. Learned it the hard way with Word and always use the
    HD.
    I'm *reasonably* conversant with Word's use of temp files but never thought about XL until
    an acquaintance was having problems with a diskette and mentioned that he'd been using
    Excel directly with the floppy.
    Anyway, it appears as though the problem was related to that as other diskettes work ok
    and saving/copying to/from the HD and using it from there are ok.

    BTW I believe the "ownership file" in Word takes its info from the
    "Tools->Options->General Information" box and is the name presented in a "File is being
    used by" message.

    Again, thanks for the info.
    --
    Regards;
    Rob

  12. #12

    Re: Location of Temp File(s) - If any

    The ownership stuff (tools|options|user information in Word 2002) makes much
    more sense. And I played with that info and my changes showed up in my ~ file.