Setting up a random list from long list of names ?

  1. #1
    yorkshire exile
    Guest

    Setting up a random list from long list of names ?

    I need to be able to choose 20 names at random from an existing database of
    over 1000 names

  2. #2
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: Setting up a random list from long list of names ?

    one way is put an index 1 to 1000 in the previous column to the names
    column . and then in some other column choose 20 random numbers between 1
    and 1000 and choose the name correponding to these random numbers by using
    vlookup function.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernd Plumhoff
    Guest

    Re: Setting up a random list from long list of names ?

    Get my function UniqRandInt() from www.sulprobil.com,
    select 20 cells and enter

    =UniqRandInt(1000)

    with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (array formula) to get 20 different
    numbers or

    =INDEX($A$1:$A$1000,UniqRandInt(1000))

    as an array formula to get 20 different random names if
    these are in cells A1:A1000, for example.

    HTH,
    Bernd

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Setting up a random list from long list of names ?

    One way ..

    Assuming the list of names is in A1:A1000

    Put in say, E1: =RAND()
    Copy down to E1000

    Put in B1:

    =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(E:E,ROWS($A$1:A1)),E:E,0))

    Copy down to B20*
    (since you want 20 names at random)

    B1:B20 will return a non-repeating randomized
    selection of 20 names from amongst the list in col A

    Press/tap F9 to recalc / re-generate a fresh selection

    Just freeze the results elsewhere
    with a copy > paste special > values > ok

    *Copy down further as desired if you need more than 20 names, or all the way
    to B1000 to get a random mix of all 1000 names in col A
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Setting up a random list from long list of names ?

    Take a look at

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/randomint.html

    You can use the RandInt function found there. Assume your names were in
    column A. Select, say, B1:B20 and array-enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or
    CMD-RETURN):

    =INDEX(A:A,RandInt(1,COUNTA(A:A)))

    In article <[email protected]>,