Extracting Values on one list and not another

  1. #1
    B Schwarz
    Guest

    Extracting Values on one list and not another

    I obtained a formula from www.cpearson.com for extracting values on one list
    and not another.

    I put 16717 rows of part numbers in cells A2:A16717. I put another list of
    part numbers in cells B2:B16717.

    I entered the formula =IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$16717,B2)=0,B2,"") into cell C2
    and used the fill corner to enter the formula in C cells down to C16717.
    (which it the one from the web site)

    Shouldnt I be getting the values that on on the B cell list but not in the A
    cell list?
    Seems like I was, ( had to keep putting new numbers in the B cell list over
    and over to get a new extracted list in C cells - needed to sort over 60,000
    part numbers against A cell list ) Then I noticed I was getting alot of
    duplicate numbers and blank cells in the extracted list.

    Also had another problem, some of the part numbers are the same in A cell
    list and B cell list and shouldnt show up in the extracted list but they are
    due to a key entry.
    Example:
    dm-002-03 in Acell list
    DM-002-03 in Bcell list

    Anyway to overcome these problems?

    Thanks Bunches,
    Barbara

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Extracting Values on one list and not another

    Hi Barbara

    i did exactly as described in your post, even down to the dm-002-03 Vs
    DM-002-03 and it worked fine (DM-002-03 didn't show up in column C) - maybe
    there's spaces before or after your data (if there are and you can afford to
    remove all spaces in the part numbers columns, select columns A & B, choose
    edit / replace - click in the first box and press your spacebar, and then
    click on replace all) ... this should solve the problem of an extra space.

    other than that i'm not sure what could be going wrong for you

    Cheers
    julieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    B Schwarz
    Guest

    Re: Extracting Values on one list and not another

    Julie,
    I will rid the spaces and align all the numbers the same and give it another
    try.
    Will let you know if it works,
    thanks,
    Barb

  4. #4
    B Schwarz
    Guest

    Re: Extracting Values on one list and not another

    Julie,
    Not working. When I test the list against one another I am still getting the
    same part number on both lists. Could it be this...List B does have some
    duppicate numbers.
    Example
    List A has part numbers that have been converted to pdf

    List B has all part numbers and for every page it lists the part number,
    like if there is a part number that has 3 pages for the print it lists the
    part number 3 times.
    Could this be causing Excel problems when checking the list?

    Barb

  5. #5
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Extracting Values on one list and not another

    Hi

    when i test it on a few numbers the duplicates in B don't appear in C, so,
    if you'ld like to zip the file up and email it direct to me (julied_ng at
    hcts dot net dot au) i'll be happy to have a look at it for you