Formula Question.....PLEASE PLEASE help!

  1. #1
    Anant
    Guest

    Formula Question.....PLEASE PLEASE help!

    Hi everybody,
    I am new to Excel and have a simple question about patterns in formulas. I
    have a column like this:

    =A2
    =A4
    =A6

    How can I simply do a drag or something to continue that forumla pattern all
    the way throughout the spreadsheet? I know if you just had A2 and dragged it
    from the lower right corner, you'd see A3, A4, A5 below it. Also, I have a
    column like this:

    =RANK(C2,C:C)
    =RANK(C4,C:C)
    =RANK(C4,C:C)

    Again, how can I simply continue this pattern for many rows? Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor funkymonkUK's Avatar
    London, England

    Please explain more

    Quote Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?QW5hbnQ=?=
    Hi everybody,
    I am new to Excel and have a simple question about patterns in formulas. I
    have a column like this:

    =A2
    =A4
    =A6

    How can I simply do a drag or something to continue that forumla pattern all
    the way throughout the spreadsheet? I know if you just had A2 and dragged it
    from the lower right corner, you'd see A3, A4, A5 below it. Also, I have a
    column like this:

    =RANK(C2,C:C)
    =RANK(C4,C:C)
    =RANK(C4,C:C)

    Again, how can I simply continue this pattern for many rows? Thanks!!!

    Could you please explain more?

    I could record a macro for you that would put in say X amount of rows down or across for diagillay across the page.

  3. #3
    David Jessop
    Guest

    RE: Formula Question.....PLEASE PLEASE help!

    Hi,

    I don't think you can do this directly (or at least I couldn't get it to
    work!). The two ways I found are to use either =OFFSET() or =INDIRECT().
    Create a column with 2, 4, 6, ... in it (which you can drag down correctly).
    Let's say this is column D. Then the formula

  4. #4
    David Jessop
    Guest

    RE: Formula Question.....PLEASE PLEASE help!

    Hi,

    I don't think you can do this directly (or I couldn't get it to work). The
    two ways to to do this are using either =OFFSET() or =INDIRECT(). Suppose
    you put 2, 4, 6 in column D, then put the formulae
    =OFFSET($A$1,D1-1,0)
    =OFFSET($A$1,D2-1,0)
    or

    =INDIRECT("A"&D1)
    =INDIRECT("A"&D2)

    Then this will do what you want.

    Regards,

    David Jessop

    P.S. Obviously in the first case it would be easier to put 1, 3, 5 .. in the
    D column, but for reasons of exposition the above is, I hope, more obvious.

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Formula Question.....PLEASE PLEASE help!

    See one response at your multi-post in .worksheet.functions

    Please do not multi-post
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Formula Question.....PLEASE PLEASE help!

    Think we could use ROW() or ROWS() functions
    as the incrementer for copying down*,
    then add-on the necessary arithmetic adjustments to suit
    the interval to be skipped and the starting cell / cell referenced

    *Likewise, for copying across purposes, we could
    use COLUMN() or COLUMNS() as the incrementer

    For example, this was the response to the OP
    in .worksheet.functions (his multi-post there)
    --
    One way ..

    To get:

    > =A2
    > =A4
    > =A6

    in successive cells when copying down

    Put in the starting cell, say B2:

    =INDIRECT("A"&ROWS($A$1:A1)*2-2+2)

    B2 will return the same as: =A2

    Copy B2 down to return in successive cells
    (B2, B3, etc):

    =A4
    =A6
    etc

    Similarly, applied to:

    > =RANK(C2,C:C)
    > =RANK(C4,C:C)
    > =RANK(C6,C:C) [corrected]

    Put in the starting cell, say D2:

    =RANK(INDIRECT("C"&ROWS($A$1:A1)*2-2+2),C:C)

    D2 will return the same as: =RANK(C2,C:C)

    Copying D2 down returns in successive cells:
    (D2, D3, etc):

    > =RANK(C4,C:C)
    > =RANK(C6,C:C)

    Adapt this part: ... ROWS($A$1:A1)*2-2
    in the starting cell's formula to suit the interval

    If you want to skip 3 cells instead of 2,
    i.e. get =A2, =A5, =A8, etc

    just change it to: ROWS($A$1:A1)*3-3

    Change the last number: ... +2)
    to : ... +1)
    if you want to begin in the starting cell
    with: =A1 instead of : =A2
    (the "+2" is just an arithmetic adjustment)
    Rgds
    Max
    xl 97
    ---