Can you update links between workbooks without them both open?

  1. #1
    Nicolle K.
    Guest

    Can you update links between workbooks without them both open?

    Here is a simplified example of what I'm trying to do:

    CarPayment.xls contains cells that list the loan amount, interest rate and
    term. There is then a cell with the PMT function that calculates the car
    payment. Budget.xls lists my expenses - it contains my rent, insurance and a
    link to the cell in CarPayment.xls that stores the car payment amount.

    There is also a cell in CarPayment.xls that contains my total expenses.
    This is calculated via links back to Budget.xls - it simply adds the rent,
    insurance and car payment.

    So both workbooks are essentially dependent on each other. If I change the
    interest rate in CarPayment.xls, this updates the car payment cell in
    Budget.xls, which in turn updates the total expenses in CarPayment.xls.

    I'm finding that the only way to get these to update properly is if I have
    both workbooks open. If, for example, I have only CarPayment.xls open, when
    I change the interest rate the car payment cell updates but the total
    expenses cell does not. Is there an easier way or another explanation for
    this? I would appreciate any help!

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Can you update links between workbooks without them both open?

    Nicolle,

    You must have both workbooks open.

    As an alternative, the workbook could be constructed such that each of these
    workbooks becomes a worksheet within the new workbook. Then you would only
    have to open one file.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP