I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI

  1. #1
    Krexroth
    Guest

    I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI

    I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format.
    Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these
    values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but
    doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial.
    For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith. I need to make Smith,
    Jill and Smith, Jo Ann.

    Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to
    find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing
    consecutive columns with incremental changes together???? Help!

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI

    Copy cells to Word.
    In Word:
    Convert table to text (separate text with paragraph marks)
    Go to Edit Replace
    Enable Wildcards
    Replace ( [A-Za-z]{1,}^13) with £\1
    note: space before £ in previous
    Replace (A-Za-z ]{1,})£([A-Za-z]{1,}) with \2, \1
    Copy and paste back to Excel

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI

    I got this to work for me by searching for the blanks in between names
    within an entry. If the entry contains two blanks, I assumed the
    characters between the blanks were either a middle name or an initial.

    If your data is in column A1, for instance "Jo Ann Smith", you
    indicated you need the last name in column B, the first name in C, and
    the Middle Initial or Middle Name in column D.

    In B1, enter this formula: it returns the letters after the last " "
    (space) in the entry.
    =IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)),MID(A1,FIND("
    ",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)),MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)+1,LEN(A1)))

    In C1, enter this formula to find the first name (the letters before
    the first space):
    =MID(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1,1)-1)

    In D1, enter this formula. It returns the letters between two spaces if
    two spaces exist:
    =IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)),"",MID(A1,FIND("
    ",A1,1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)-1))

    Note that you may still need to review your list for entries with "Sr."
    or "Jr", since these formulas will treat those titles as last names.

  4. #4
    Krexroth
    Guest

    Re: I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleName

    Thanks Dave. I had subsequently found this solution (for MI or MName only) at
    http://www.exceltip.com/st/Extract_t...Excel/370.html
    IF(ISERR(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)), FIND("
    ",A1),FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1))-FIND(" ",A1)-1)),"",MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+
    1,IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)),FIND(" ",A1),FIND(" ",A1,FIND("
    ",A1)+1))-FIND(" ",A1)-1))

    I appreciate your solution as it breaks the syntax down into more easily
    understood chunks. Thanks Again.

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI

    Have a look at Chip Pearson's First/Last examples. Also has a downloadable
    workbook to go with the examples.

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Krexroth
    Guest

    Re: I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleName

    I have, but those solutions seem to address the format LAST, FIrst MI to pase
    them into individual pieces. The comma helps alot in that instance.
    Thanks a lot though.