Lookup

  1. #1
    Confused
    Guest

    Lookup

    I am trying to use the lookup function, but excel is returning the wrong
    result. My formula is LOOKUP(E53,AG1:AG55,AH1:AH55) where e53 is a value
    inputted by the user. I want Excel to find the value in e5s in column ag and
    grab the corrsponding data in column ah. it isnt finding the corrsponding
    data in ah.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    What you need to use is VLOOKUP. Your formula would look like this:

    =VLOOKUP(E53,AG1:AH55,2)

    (note: the ',2' tells the function to look in the 2nd column in the defined range)

    Give it a try!

    Good Luck
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Lookup

    Lookup() is intended for one-column operations: check out VLOOKUP().
    It will do the job for you.

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Lookup

    The "Vector" syntax of LOOKUP() uses a column or a row to find a value in
    *another* column or row of the same size.

    One of the shortcomings of LOOKUP() is that the lookup vector must be in
    *ascending* order, otherwise the results may be incorrect, which is what the
    case is here, as stated by the OP.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...