excel math forumla? (simple math problem inside for math people!)

  1. #1
    Jason
    Guest

    excel math forumla? (simple math problem inside for math people!)

    Hey all I got a math problem I am not sure how to put into a formula nor an
    excel formula

    here is the nature of the answer I need

    lets say we have X priced at 100

    every 1 it moves I will add 1 position

    so at 101 it will add a position
    102 another position
    103 another

    at the end of the day lets say the item closes at 106 and 106 is also the
    high for the day

    the profit should then be 106-100 + 105-100 etc etc
    yielding a total profit of

    6+5+4+3+2+1 = 21

    anyone know how to encode this all into excel? hope I made sense

  2. #2
    Jason
    Guest

    Re: excel math forumla? (simple math problem inside for math people!)

    wooops

    if it closed at 106 my profit would in fact be

    5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 15

    coz 1st position would only open at 101

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel math forumla? (simple math problem inside for math people!)

    If start is A1, 1st position is A2, then try

    =SUM(IF(A3:A10<>"",A3:A10-A2))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4

    Re: excel math forumla? (simple math problem inside for math people!)

    Hi Jason,

    Put your start value into A1 and your end value into B1, then
    =SIGN(B1-A1)*(B1-A1)*(B1-A1-SIGN(B1-A1))/2
    will give you what you want (I hope).

    If you start with 106 and end at 100 then your result will be -15, I
    guess?

    HTH,
    Bernd