Still unable to view macros in .XLA file

  1. #1
    (Pete Cresswell)
    Guest

    Still unable to view macros in .XLA file

    I know next to nothing about Excel - beyond having written VBA code to format
    sheets from another app.

    Now I have this .XLA file that contains some macros that I have to
    reverse-engineer/clone into and MS Access app...but I can't figure out how to
    get to them. I *think* I've tried the obvious - going throught Tools|Macros,
    but I'm not seeing anything.

    Anybody want to take a look at this thing? It's got to be something dumb on my
    part. and it's only 44k.... Flip me an email at [email protected]
    and I'll send you a reply with the .XLA and a real return address.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Still unable to view macros in .XLA file

    Pete, have a look here http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros it
    talks about how to remove macros, but for your use it will let you know
    everywhere to look for them.

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Still unable to view macros in .XLA file

    Pete,

    You don't see xla macros in Tools - Macros. Switch to the VBE (Visual Basic
    Environment), by pressing Alt-F11. In the Project Explorer (View - Project
    Explorer) at the left, locate your xla. If it has a + at the left, expand
    it by clicking the +. You should now see outline items for the sheets
    (event-fired macros), and any modules (regular macros) contained.
    Double-click any to open a window for it

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

  4. #4
    (Pete Cresswell)
    Guest

    Re: Still unable to view macros in .XLA file

    Per Earl Kiosterud:

    >You don't see xla macros in Tools - Macros. Switch to the VBE (Visual Basic
    >Environment), by pressing Alt-F11. In the Project Explorer (View - Project
    >Explorer) at the left, locate your xla. If it has a + at the left, expand
    >it by clicking the +. You should now see outline items for the sheets
    >(event-fired macros), and any modules (regular macros) contained.
    >Double-click any to open a window for it

    Been there per somebody's suggestion in the other thread, but I'm not seeing
    anything. In the project's treeview, I see "VBAProject (FUNCTION.XLA), and
    underneath that I see a child named "ThisWorkbook"...but I can't find anything
    in "ThisWorkbook" under "General" or under "WorkBook" (except for the empty
    standard events like "Workbook_SheetCalculate) and so-forth.

    But I'm pretty sure the macros I'm looking for are in the XLA in question
    because, referenced from a .XLS, they work...and stop working when the XLA is
    taken away.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. #5
    (Pete Cresswell)
    Guest

    Re: Still unable to view macros in .XLA file

    Per Earl Kiosterud:
    > xla macros

    I should also note that, when I open up the .XLA in a text editor (SPFPC in this
    case), I can find the name a function that I believe is in there ("ROR") and
    some names/phrases that look like they belong ('returns', 'lookup_value',
    'weights', 'match_array', 'WTD_AVG', and so-forth...only problem is that
    everything else is unrecognizable...rendering as just a lot of special
    characters.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  6. #6

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Per Earl Kiosterud:
    > > xla macros

    > I should also note that, when I open up the .XLA in a text editor

    (SPFPC in this
    > case), I can find the name a function that I believe is in there

    ("ROR") and
    > some names/phrases that look like they belong ('returns',

    'lookup_value',
    > 'weights', 'match_array', 'WTD_AVG', and so-forth...only problem is

    that
    > everything else is unrecognizable...rendering as just a lot of

    special
    > characters.
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Hi,

    Is this by chance an old .XLA file? It could be that this is a
    carryover from the days of XLM. In that case, you won't be working
    with VBA, but XLM code.

    I don't have a file to test, but if you change the file to an .XLS
    file, so that you can view the sheets, there will be the macro sheet
    with all the coding. This assumes, of course, that my guess is
    correct.

    Bye,
    Jay